Hugh William Linn
|Hugh William Linn|
|Spouse||Mary Chadwick (m. 1840)|
|See map of Hugh William Linn's descendents and ancestors|
 Excerpt from The Clan Linn
Hugh William Linn was born in 1818 in County Clare, Ireland. August 12, 1840, he married Miss Mary Chadwick, of Manchester, England, at Dublin, Ireland. Emigrating to this country they settled in Philadelphia, Pa., where they made their home until his death at the age of 82. Mrs. H. W. Linn is still living in Philadelphia. Hugh W. Linn was an honest, sturdy, hardworking man, a good Christian, devoting his whole life to his wife and children. Their home life was an ideal one and, although unable to supply all the luxuries of life, it was a happy, helpful home. Mr. Linn was a lifelong member of the Masonic Order and the I. O. O. F.
Their marriage was blessed with six sturdy sons and two daughters, of whom four sons, William, Samuel, Thomas and Hugh, and one daughter, Mary A., wife of William Adams, still survive. One daughter, Jennie Linn, and two sons, Matthew and Benjamin F. Linn, are deceased.
 Historical Records
- Hugh William Linn declared his intent to be naturalized on Sep 7, 1847 in the Quarter Sessions court. See also this record, in the "Index to Records of Aliens' Declarations of Intention and/or Oaths of Allegiance, 1789-1880, in United States Circuit Court, United States District Court, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, Quarter Sessions Court, Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia"
- Hugh William Linn (age 30) lived with wife Mary (age 30) and their 5 children in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the 1850 Federal Census. Hugh is listed as a tavern keeper, born in Ireland. Based on the children's ages and locations of birth, the family immigrated 6-8 years earlier (c. 1842-1844). Interestingly, there is a 20 year old Hannah Linn living with them as well.
- Hugh (age 52) lived with his wife Mary (age 50) and children Hugh (age 20), Jennie (age 17), and Benjamin (age 15) in the 1870 Federal Census
- The Linns seem to have moved and been listed in the 1870 census twice. Hugh (age 53), Mary (age 50), and children Jane (age 18) and Benjamin (age 15) were listed in the 1870 Federal Census. Hugh is listed as a citizen, born in Ireland and working as a laborer. Mary keeps home, Jane has no occupation listed, and Benjamin is "at school".
- Hugh (age 61) lived with his wife Mary (age 60) and son Hugh (age 30) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the 1880 Federal Census. Hugh is listed as a watchman. Mary keeps home. Son Hugh is listed as "dentist" (?). Hugh is born in Ireland, Mary in England, and son Hugh in Pennsylvania.
- Several Linns were listed in a 1881 Philadelhpia directory, including a Hugh W., and a G. Wilds (possibly Dr. George Wilds Linn (1844 - 1918)).
- Hugh W. Linn was listed in a 1890 Philadelphia city directory